November 6, 2009

The "Chicken Skin" Condition & Treatment

I have tiny red bumps on my biceps & forearms, on the front & back of my thighs, and sometimes even on my bum! Sometimes these bumps are simply the result of sweating from exercising, and then bacteria gets trapped in the skin pore, creating inflammation & acne.

My skin condition has a name, a long, complicated name: Keratosis Pilaris, also known as "KP", and "Chicken Skin." These bumps are caused simply by the body producing an over-abundance of skin cells, which build up, causing these bumps.

Can you guess what the remedy is? Exfoliating! You know, using those cute, round, plastic web-like bath sponges and gently rubbing your body with it!
They also make bath scrub & body lotion called "KP Duty" by DermaDoctor, which aid in the exfoliating and moisturizing process.
These are sold at Sephora, or at www.dermadoctor.com.

I have simply been scrubbing myself down every time I shower, and I have seen SUCH an improvement! The redness and the appearance of bumps is greatly reduced, and I no longer feel the need to "pick" at them, like I used to do.

So, if you have this skin condition (dermatologists say that half of all living people have this condition to some degree) try exfoliating for several weeks, and if you're still not seeing results, try the lotion & bath scrub mentioned above. If all that does not significantly reduce the bumps, then go to a dermatologist for prescribed medication.

But don't worry; you're not alone if you have this skin condition! Millions of people have it and don't even realize it. But, for those of us with more extreme cases, a little extra work is required to reduce the bumps. But you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment